My daughter has already returned to college for her final quarter. That is a tear you see from my wife and me. How did she grow up so fast? I wouldn’t have it any other way. On the plus side, I get lots of great cooking ideas from her and a great sous chef when home. Sous chef is the wrong term because she will take over if I let her.
The idea was a Chicken Burrito Bowl. We have done this and I have eaten plenty of these chicken bowls Mediterranean style. This Chicken Burrito Bowl has a Mexican flair to it. We made cilantro rice, pico de gallo and a corn salsa. True teamwork. While I prepared the chicken and the cilantro rice, she was busy making the corn salsa and the pico de gallo. What is so good about this dish is how fresh the ingredients are. There is not much sauce, just the natural flavors of the salsas.
To complete the recipe I made a Sriracha Mayonnaise and a avocado cream using Greek non-fat yogurt. I did add a little mayonnaise. That is my new method for making mayonnaise based dressings. Use mostly Greek yogurt but add 2 – 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise for the texture and the taste. That is just enough mayonnaise to get to the right flavor.
- 5 Chicken Breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons guajillo chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Hot Mexican Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 avocados
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 - 5 dashes Tobasco
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Greek non-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 green pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 6 - 8 ounces black beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1/2 lime
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 fresh lime juice
- 1/4 head of purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the spices and oil and cover the chicken. Set aside.
- Add the 1 tablespoon oil to cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken 4 minutes on each side. Finish by cooking in a 325 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the avocados to a bowl and smash using a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the avocados in a bowl and smash with a fork.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix vigorously. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the rice, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook for 10 - 12 minutes until the water is fully absorbed.
- Add the chopped cilantro and the lime juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Fill the bottom of your dish with the rice. Then, add each of the ingredients around the bowl keeping each item separate. Top with the avocado cream and Sriracha mayonnaise.
- Go ahead. Mix it all together and enjoy!
Pico De Gallo.