Next to Mexican food, my favorite ethnic food is Cajun. I just love the flavors of Cajun food. I think that we do not see many Cajun dishes by bloggers because of our lack of familiarity with these recipes. They may be a little harder to make and have a lot of ingredients. Like so many other recipes, familiarity with the cooking process, melts away any anxiety in making the dish. One of the keys to a good gumbo is the roux. To make a good dark roux, you just need to have patience.
I have made this Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. In the warmer weather, I smoke my chicken. Given how cold it has been in Chicago, I spiced my chicken and used two types of sausage including chicken andouille and smoked sausage for that smoked flavor. The andouille sausage is a very traditional ingredient of gumbo. Gumbo comes in many different forms. It can be meat, fish and even vegetarian. The unifying parts of gumbo is the roux and the holy trinity. The holy trinity, differs from its French cousin with the exchange of green peppers for carrots.
- 8 chicken thighs, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 smoked beef sausage, sliced
- 5 chicken andouille sausages, sliced
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's essence seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups of chicken stock
- 12 ounces okra
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons file powder
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the both sausages and cook for 6 minutes browning each side of the sausage. Remove from pot and let drain.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and Emeril's essence.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 8 minutes browning both sides. Remove from pot and drain.
- Add the onions celery and green peppers and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer.
- Add the okra and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the canola oil on medium heat.
- Add the flour and combine.
- Cook for about 30 minutes stirring constantly until the roux turns brown.
- When the roux is complete, slowly pour into the gumbo pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Finish by adding the file powder and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
The holy trinity added to the pot, and then the spices and the tomatoes added.
The okra added to all the ingredients, and then, simmering.
The final easy chicken and sausage gumbo plated.