A friend at the office handed me a bag of candied ginger and the challenge was on. I will have a second post using the ginger but this one is a ginger infused cake.
Candied Ginger Bundt Cake:
- To make the syrup, I took 1/2 dozen diced candied ginger candies and put them in 1 1/3 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar, 4 tsp lemon juice and brought to a boil to dissolve the sugar and the candy as much as possible
- For the cake, whisk 2 1/4 cups of all purpose-flour, 4 tsp ground ginger, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a mixing bowl
- Separately, add 2 cups of sugar, to 1 cup (2 sticks) of melted butter and beat in your mixer on medium speed until blended. Add 4 eggs and 1 egg yoke one at a time and continue blending. With the egg yoke add 2 tsp vanilla extract and add 3/4 cup of the syrup to the cake mixture
- Alternately add flour mixture and 1 cup of sour cream until fully blended using low speed
- Finish, by spraying a bundt can with Pam and dust with raw sugar; bake for approximately 50 minutes
- While the cake is cooling, add to your mixture 1 cup of confectioners sugar, 1/4 of a stick of softened butter and 4 – 5 tbsp of the candied syrup
- Remove the cake from the bundt pan and top with candied ginger syrup.