I posted earlier this week my Asian Boneless Wings that I made with my wife in mind. These Buffalo Chicken Nuggets are all my son. As I normally do, I ask my children what they want me to make for them. We planned to sit in front of the TV and watch the NCAA basketball tournament. So we needed some finger food. Often my son likes to go to Buffalo Wild Wings. These wings were all my own.
I used boneless chicken tenderloin for these nuggets. It is a great starting point because the meat is so tender – hence the name. Seriously, I really like to work with the tenderloin. If you have not tried it you should. You will not always find it in your grocery store so keep your eyes open for it and grab it, change your menu idea and try a new recipe with chicken tenderloin.
The spice is added in a few phases with these Buffalo Chicken Nuggets. The chicken is dredged in spiced flour and then dropped in Louisiana hot sauce. After dredging again, they are finished off in Frank’s Hot Sauce. The spice is not overpowering. These have a nice, very manageable kick to them.
- 1/2cup butter
- 1/2cup louisiana hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, Ground
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 -20 chicken tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the chicken tenders into 1" chunks and set aside.
- Combine the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a large bowl.
- Separately, mix together in a separate bowl 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup hot sauce, a dash of garlic powder and a dash of pepper and heat in microwave in 20 second increments until the butter is fully melted. Mix well. Set aside.
- Put the nuggets into the flour mixture. Coat well and shake off excess.
- Dip the dredged nugget into mixture of butter and hot sauce.
- Then finish by dropping again into flour mixture.
- Place all the nuggets on a rack on a baking tray and put in the refrigerator for 60 to 90 minutes. (This will help the breading to adhere to the nuggets better.)
- Heat oil in a dutch oven to 375°F
- Fry them for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the nuggets from the oil to the rack to drain.
- After a draining for a minute or two. Move to the baking tray and cook in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- While the nuggets are baking, combine another 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic powder in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Heat until the butter is melted and the ingredients are well blended.
- Place the cooked nuggets in the sauce and serve.
Blend the dry ingredients well.
The chicken tenders dredged in the flour.
To create the hot sauce, melt the butter and Louisiana Hot Sauce together.
Drop the wings into the sauce and then into the flour.
Then, returned to the sauce one last time.
The final product served with some celery.