I have been playing with topping main courses. I recently made a similar dish when I topped Halibut with Breadcrumb Mixture. Our go to in our house is working with chicken. We do not eat much red meat so we eat a lot of chicken and fish. This halibut recipe was awesome. This chicken is a simple modification of the halibut recipe. Since this was chicken, I could add cheese. The topping is breadcrumbs and cheese. That works well.
The breading is the key to this dish. The breading has a lot of flavor including fresh herbs and mayonnaise and spicy mustard as a binder. The fresh herb I used is parsley. In addition to the mayonnaise, the mustard is a chipotle pepper mustard. It is pretty spicy. I add it into a lot of recipes and wraps. When I make a wrap, I try not to add too much but just enough to get some spice in the wrap. The other benefit is to keep the calories down.
The breading combines 6 ingredients. It obviously has breadcrumbs. As noted above, it has mayonnaise and chipotle mustard as the binder. The fresh ingredients include parsley and garlic. The final creamy ingredient was sharp cheddar cheese. This is a super tough recipe to put together. Simply combine all six of these ingredients and put it on top of the chicken. Next, stick it in the oven and voilá, you are done.
The basic cast of characters, and then, the topping ingredients.
The final Breaded Baked Chicken plated.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chipotle mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts slice in half horizontally
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Panko*
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, chipotle mustard, cheese, parsley, garlic and breadcrumbs.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a single layer onto the prepared baking dish and top with as much of the chipotle mustard/mayonnaise panko mixture as you can.
- Place into 325 degree oven and cook for 14 - 16 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!