Almond Lemon Cake
Yogurt is so versatile. I have used it for Tzatziki, for Blueberry Yogurt Scones, Avocado Cilantro Dressing, for a Cream Cheese Coffee Cake and so many more recipes. This recipe for Almond Lemon Cake used Almond Dreams® yogurt. Yogurt is a great dairy substitute for cream that is in so many desserts and cakes. It is a great way to address lactose challenges. Further, it is an easy way to reduce calories.
I am still learning to work with yogurt. Since it is not a pure liquid, when using it in lieu of liquids, there is a little textural difference in the cake. This needs to be balanced out with other liquids in the wet ingredients. I am still LEARNING to find the right balance. I actually need to take the time and try some different combinations so I can come up with just the right combination of yogurt and liquid. I emphasize this because the flavor of this cake was awesome. This is an important post if you are lactose intolerant or want to find ways to reduce calories without sacrificing taste (and desserts). Everything in moderation.
One other note in this dessert was the addition of LEMON ZEST. Using lemon zest really makes me feel like a real chef. I see lemon zest used on so many TV shows. Where did this phenomena start? I cannot say that I have totally picked up on this craze but I should use zest more often. The zest adds such a deep flavor or punch in a dish. The cake really has strong lemon flavor. The almond flavor adds a sweetness but is more subtle and balances out the lemon.
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup Almond Dream yogurt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour
- 3-4 tablespoon corn meal
- 2-teaspoon baking powder.
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk, as needed
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixture.
- Then add Almond yogurt and mix for another minute.
- Stir in the eggs, one at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition.
- Pour in the flour, baking powder baking soda and corn meal into the batter, and then add the grated lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Stir well until everything is fully combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan.
- Bake 45–50 minutes at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer.
- Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until the frosting has the right texture.
- Top liberally with the Marscapone frosting.
- Serve and enjoy!
Almond Yogurt and Sugar in mixing bowl mixed with eggs, dry ingredients, and then, the dry ingredients and lemon zest.
The mixed batter in the loaf pan.
The Almond Lemon Cake sliced and taken out of the pan.