I often tell you this but we love Mexican food in our family. I love to come up with different ideas on ways to infuse foods with Mexican flavors. I have done a few Mexican burgers and actually have more in the works – Mexican Burger 1; Mexican Burger 2 & Mexican Burger 3. This recipe pulls in a number of Mexican spices and cheese but the coup de gras is the achiote. Achiote is also known as annatto. It has a mild flavor and is traditionally used in Latin American cooking. It adds a really cool reddish color to whatever you make. This Achiote Mexican Burger brings in Mexican spices, Mexican cheese and peppers. that is taking this burger pretty far along the Mexican/Latin American scale.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 - 4 tbsp achiote powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tbsp seasoned salt
- 2 tbsp adobo seasoning
- 2 tbsp Spanish paprika
- 12 slices pepper jack cheese
- Combine the spices with 3 tbsp of the oil. Mix well.
- Saute the peppers in 1 tbsp oil for 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Mix the marinade and the peppers with the ground turkey and form into patties. Marinade overnight.
- Remove from marinade and place on a grill over medium heat for 4 minutes a side.
- In the last minute of grilling, add 3 slices of cheese on each burger.
- Serve and enjoy!
The cool color is created by marinating the ground turkey in the achoite sauce.
Before you cook the burgers, saute the onions and peppers to both incorporate into the ground meat and then to top on the cooked burger.
The grilling brings out the ultimate color in the burgers.
The burgers are completed with pepper jack cheese and the onion/pepper saute.
Serve and enjoy!