Who says you can never have too much cheese? Not me. I decided though that this traditional preparation would be even better by mixing a few cheeses and layering the cheese throughout.
Potatoes Au Gratin:
- Use a mandolin and thinly slice 6 baking potatoes
- In a mixing bowl, coat with 1/4 cup of sweet & spicy mustard
- In ramekins begin layering. Start with the bottom layer of potatoes; then add 1 slice of Gruyere cheese; another layer of potatoes; then add shredded mozzarella (about 1/8 cup); then add another layer of potatoes and finish this phase with a generous topping of cheddar cheese (about 1/8 cup)
- Cover with tinfoil and put in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes
- Remove foil and top again with a final layer of cheddar cheese – a good handful – and cook for another 15 minutes until the cheese forms a crust