Chipotle Sausage Poblano Toad in the Hold Biscuits might be one of my best ideas yet. We were going over to our friends’ Sarah and Neil’s house for a Mexican themed dinner. They are awesome cooks and share my passion for cooking. I saw something similar on Pinterest that I believe sparked this idea. For this themed dinner, I was charged with making an appetizer. As I noodled on an idea, I decided the biscuit would become the vessel for my Mexican inspired filling.
Have I said yet how good these Chipotle Sausage Poblano Toad in the Hold Biscuits were? I will explain why and I am sure you can smell them through your computer screen. There are so many good flavors going on in this dish. The initial flavor comes from browning the chicken chipotle sausages. Amy’s make a variety of really good Chicken sausages. These chipotle sausages have a good bite to them and just enough spice. The sausages were diced for the cooling so they got good and crisp.
I first took the cream cheese out of the fridge to soften. Meanwhile, I started on my poblanos. The poblanos are placed on a baking tray and drizzled with olive oil and Kosher salt. The poblanos are baked in the oven on high heat until good and charred. After charring, they are placed in a freezer bag, or simply, a garbage bag. They rest in the garbage bag for 15 – 20 minutes. Once cooled the skin is peeled off, the seeds are removed and the poblanos are diced up.
The Mexican cheese and Mexican cheese blend are added to the softened cream cheese. After mixing well, the rest of the ingredients are added in. The biscuits are placed in the oven and cooked half way through. Next, the biscuits are taking out of the oven and the center is cored. Hence, the Toad in the Hole reference. Then, the filling mixture is added to the cored center and the Chipotle Sausage Poblano Toad in the Hold Biscuits are placed back in the oven to finish cooking.
The cast of characters.
The poblanos baked and seeded.
The Cream Cheese and two Mexican cheeses in a bowl.
The filling all mixed together.
The biscuits baked and the filling added.
The final Chipotle Sausage Poblano Toad in the Hold Biscuits plated.
- 2 - 3 Amylu Chipotle Chicken Sausages
- 3 Poblanos, roasted & seeded
- Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
- 16 ounces Lite Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 4 - 6 ounces Quesadilla cheese
- 6 - 8 ounces Mexican cheese blend
- Drizzle the poblanos with olive oil and Kosher salt.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes (until charred).
- Let cool. Scrape off or peel the outer layer, seed and dice.
- Cut the sausages in small pieces and grill to get some color on them.
- Cook the biscuits according to the box instructions.
- Core out the center with your fingers.
- Combine the cream cheese, Mexican cheese blend, yogurt, poblanos and sausage. Mix well.
- Finish by take the cream cheese blend and drop a generous amount in the hole of the biscuit.
- Top with a little more of each of the cheeses.
- Place on a baking tray into a 325 oven for 2 - 3 minutes. Just until you get a good melt.
- Serve and enjoy!